Saturday, September 15, 2007

Will she remember it?

I do a lot of things with Elisabeth. We go to zoos, parks, museums and libraries on a regular basis, and we have a fantastic time. Yet on more than one occasion, I have had friends ask me, "Will she remember any of this?"

I think it is likely that she won't have any distinct memories of these years when she is older (I don't have many distinct memories of my preschool years), and yet I am convinced that these years will define the rest of her life. The fact that she may not remember the particulars later on doesn't stop me from living each day to the fullest with her; in fact, knowing that these years are so defining in her social, emotional, spiritual and cognitive development makes me want to do them all the more. That she may not remember these days does not mean they are unimportant.

In this respect of memory, I think there is a real parallel between early childhood and life, and life and eternity. Though we remember very little from our preschool years, our development during this time has a massive impact on the way we experience the rest of life. In much the same way, from eternity the years of our life will appear as but a whisper - but they will define the degree of our joy to all eternity. We live fully now, knowing that what we do matters even if we won't remember it when we see Christ face to face. That glorious truth makes each day full and reminds me that it is still as nothing compared to what will be.

4 comments:

waldo said...

Graham,
Will Elizabeth remember? I believe that what you are doing with your precious daughter will be part of her being. Her inner love, caring and enjoyment as she gets older. I lost my whole life friend six weeks ago and that would be my Mom and Josh's grandma. She was a wonderful, caring and quiet woman of faith. She loved me like no other as I was her only daughter of three. She taught me about life and I cherish that every day. Life will not always be as simply or Elizabeth will not always totally trust your judgement and guidiance as she does now. Build the foundation that you have been enjoying so much and you will see the rewards in Elizabeth, both for her and you. I have loved watching you and your family during Josh and Meg's travels. I look forward to continuing to watch your family grow. Always, Mom Wall

Anonymous said...

She may not remember details but the relationship you are building and your example of love will stand up well as she develops a relationship with her Heavenly Father. What a beautiful model you are as an earthly father, and how blessed Elisabeth is. Truly you are teaching her about the eternal things while allowing her to enjoy the blessings and favors of God in the temporal. Love to you, Rebecca and Elisabeth.
Terry Anderson (Megan's mom)

Graham said...

Thanks, Mom Wall and Terry! Your comments mean a lot to me because you speak from experience. May God bless you both!

Unknown said...

Graham:
She will not remember the details but she will absolutely be influenced by the love, time and guidance you are displaying to her these precious years, that are quickly flying by