Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Practical wisdom on family worship

Yesterday I listened to two segments (part 1 & part 2) of John Piper's sermon on Educating for Hope. Two pieces of practical wisdom jumped out to me:

  1. Dr. Piper said that from the time his children were very small, they taught a morning 'quiet time'. He even suggested it can be as simple as propping up an infant with a pillow, and playing some worship music. I had assumed that the practice of beginning the day with Scripture and prayer would begin when a child started to read; Piper reminded me that it can begin long before.
  2. For those who feel that they don't have time to lead their family daily in worship, he suggested a simple ten-minute routine:
    • Read a verse or two from the Bible, and briefly explain it.
    • Ask a question from a good catechism (and discuss its answer).
    • Pray together.
I love receiving practical wisdom from others on how to be wise parents!

2 comments:

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Thanks for passing along these suggestions. Like you, I had not thought of doing a morning "quiet time" with my 21-month-old, but it certainly could be done as suggested. Instilling a habit of Bible reading/worship/prayer in his morning routine so early one would be a great benefit to him.

- Julie W.