Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Gospel Humility

“If the Lord of hosts had not left us offspring,
we would have been like Sodom
and become like Gomorrah.” (Romans 9:29)
I think this is the key that unlocks gospel humility. In fact, I don't know how to receive this in a way that is not shattering. All that we can say for ourselves is that if the Lord had not intervened, we would have become like Sodom and Gomorrah.

I very often look at myself and think that I am doing well. Perhaps I don't boast out loud, but the proud attitude is just as deadly. This word from Isaiah, repeated by Paul, is the cure for my arrogance, if I will believe that it speaks the truth. But far too often I flatter myself in my own eyes so that I don't see or feel the weight of this truth.

I want to live daily in the wonder of this reality: I, who would have run down the path of Sodom and Gomorrah, have been forgiven, released and reconciled to the God whom I had offended! He called me when I was His enemy, and purchased my repentance because I would never have repented. He has established the way of perfect, unshakable (because it doesn't depend on me!) joy, and destroyed every boast that is not boasting in Him.

Just as much, I want Elisabeth to taste this from childhood. I want her to be in awe and wonder at our God who justifies the wicked, and makes His enemies into friends. I long to save her from the folly of pride and arrogance that have ensnared me. I want her to feel the reality of our rebellion, and the unfathomably good news of Christ. This, I believe, is what it means to love my daughter.

No comments: