Monday, April 07, 2008

Where did you get your name?

Last night as I was putting Elisabeth to bed, she asked me,

"Daddy, where did you get your name?"
I asked her who she thought gave me my name. She guessed and aunt and uncle before settling on Granddaddy and Grandmummy. Of course, that prompted another question:
"Who gave Mommy her name?"
Again, I turned the question on her. The same aunt and uncle topped the list as Mommy's name-givers. But eventually she figured out that Pop-pop and Grandma had given Mommy her name.

After I had tucked Elisabeth in, she wanted Mommy to tuck her in as well, and continued the same line of questions:
"Mommy, where did you get my name?"
Mommy explained that we had chosen the name because it means devoted to God. Elisabeth persisted:
"But how did you know how to spell it; you know, E-L-I-S-A-B-E-T-H?"
We still have a little ways to go on teaching phonics . . .

No comments: