Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Easter Story

Yesterday I read aloud Lilly's Big Day in Elisabeth's class. I also gave her teachers The Big Picture Story Bible to preview the sections on the Easter story. I explained that I wanted to be able to share with the class what Easter is about through a book written for children. I want them to understand that it isn't about bunnies and eggs.

After previewing the book, they declined (although the teacher's aid was riveted by The Big Picture Story Bible and I left it with her to read). It was a good reminder to me of where tolerance ends. As Lesslie Newbigin states:

"But if we are talking as the Bible talks about God, who is Creator and Governor of all things, who acts in specific ways, and whose purpose is the criterion for everything human, whether in the public or the private sectors, then there is an inevitable conflict." (Foolishness to the Greeks p67, emphasis mine)
The death and resurrection of Jesus call the entire modern world into question. I could not read it to the kids as a nice story (it can hardly be called 'nice'), or even merely a good piece of literature (and I think it is excellent children's literature). I would be reading it as the true story about the defining event in the history of the world - and that is a dividing line.

So I look forward to sitting with the teachers privately, away from the kids, and talking about this event that defines all of human existence. And I pray that the nonsense of the Gospel will penetrate their hearts, and give them life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you really anticipate being allowed to read the story Bible to the class or was it just a hope? I would have been VERY surprised if the teachers agreed to it!

Graham said...

Good question! I wasn't really sure. I've had latitude to read whatever I want to them in previous read alouds. And my intent should be genuinely honored by them: to teach the meaning of Easter (for which they get Good Friday off of school), and which is a holiday that some of the children in the class celebrate.

So while I wasn't surprised to be declined, I also wouldn't have been surprised if they had agreed.

Anonymous said...

What if some in the class celebrate Kwanzaa and a parent wanted to share about that holiday in a children's story? How would you feel about Elisabeth being in the class then? If the teachers had allowed you to share about Easter, should they also allow parents of other religions to share about their holidays too?

Graham said...

Yes, I think parents should be able to share about their holidays, and the teachers already do. Elisabeth read Hannukah books and Kwanzaa books among others - and I think it is important for her to learn about them, particularly from people who embrace those traditions.

As a mom, what do you think?

Anonymous said...

I guess my first thought is that I would prefer religion be kept out of school completely. I'm not sure that I want Katelyn reading Hannukah and Kwanzaa books at school if no one is there to point out they're false. I think it's good for kids to be exposed to other religions and know what they believe and why, but I think I would prefer it coming from me as a parent. When kids begin reasoning for themselves, then it would be helpful to hear from people who embrace other religions.

Dylan and I have talked about it and I can see the counter-argument as well. If the teachers at Elisabeth's school allowed those other books, then I am surprised they didn't allow you to read the Easter story.

Graham said...

I think it is wise for you to want to have the role and privilege of teaching your children - and should be the case.

It occurs to me that schools, regardless of whether they are 'religious' or not, claim to teach the way things really are. In other words, not speaking about religion is itself a claim about the nature of things - that they are not part of reality with which we have to deal. And I believe that this is what needs to be called into question.