Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Children's Bible Stories

I love The Big Picture Story Bible, but have been looking for an illustrated children's Bible that contained more Biblical stories so that Elisabeth would see more of the stories that fit into the Big Picture. I was sorely disappointed with the New Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes, which is probably only appropriate for children under 3 rather than the claimed age range of 4-7.

Happily, we received the Illustrated Family Bible Stories as a gift, and have found a middle ground children's Bible that is not overly simplistic, but still has ample illustrations.

The authors do a remarkably good job of summarizing the Biblical stories. Sometimes there is very little editing at all, and is simply the Biblical text. (I've noticed how well they have stuck to the text as I have been reading through Genesis and Exodus in my devotions at the same time that I have been reading those accounts to Elisabeth.) There have been a few occasions that I questioned the way that they simplified a story for children, but for the most part I'm impressed. So, if you're looking for something to give more of the stories than the Big Picture Story Bible, check this out.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Graham, thanks for sharing your thoughts on these. I've been looking for a good children's Bible for Zach and am glad to get your perspective. Would you recommend the "New Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes" for a 2-year-old? Is the content good?

Graham said...

No, sadly, I wouldn't recommend The Bible for Little Eyes. I would recommend The Big Picture Story Bible for two year olds. It is very well written, well illustrated, and gets the story of the Bible wonderfully clear.

Enjoy!