Monday, December 03, 2007

Noel Calendar

Last year my sister-in-law told me about the Noel Calendar put out by Desiring God. It was too late in the Advent season to use it by the time I got it, but I packed it away for this year. I took it out tonight (thanks to my wife, who found where I had tucked it away) and Elisabeth and I did the first three days of the calendar together.

I was delighted to see how she engaged so readily with something that she could see and touch, which would help her connect with the story of the Invisible God, who became a baby to be seen and touched. I pray that this Advent she (and I) will be in awe of our God who was born among animals.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Hi Graham,
I tried looking on the Desiring God website for the advent or noel calendar but couldn't find it. Do you, by any chance, know where it might be listed? I want to share it with some friends who have kids. Thanks!
Tracy

Graham said...

Unfortunately, I think it has been discontinued. (I think that my sister-in-law found this one for me through a friend, because they weren't available online last year either.

However, a good description is found in Treasuring God in our Traditions, and I think are even suggestions there of how to make one.

Tracy said...

Thanks, Graham!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I just heard last night that they re-designed the Noel Calendars. They're now made by African artisans, I believe, and they should be available on the Desiring God website soon.

Haley

Graham said...

Hooray! I'm sure that the quality of the work will be better then.