Monday, August 13, 2007

In the company of men

I picked up a book in our public library in hopes that I would learn a little bit more about Duke Ellington (since my African American history is abysmal). It didn't turn out to be much of a history source on Ellington, but it did provide significant insight into that era, through the eyes of a little girl, reflecting on her childhood among great jazz musicians:

i remember
i was there
i listened in the company of men . . .
children growing in the company of men
old southern men & young slick ones
It seems that one of the striking features of that time is that children grew up "in the company of men." For these historical insights, and the excellent illustrations, I recommend this book.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Hi! I found your blog from the "How Kids Think" site and am enjoying your archived posts!

There are actually quite a few good storybooks for children on African-American history/culture/art. I found these from a professor while I was preparing to teach in an urban school. I've given most of mine away, but here are a few titles I remember:

Uptown by Bryan Collier

Harriet and the Promised Land

Charlie Parker Played Be Bop by Chris Raschka

Harlem by Walter Dean Myers

Romare Bearden: Collage of Memories
by Jan Greenberg

I See You, I See Myself: The Young Life of Jacob Lawrence
by Deba Foxley Leach

Check some of these out-- you might enjoy them!

Graham said...

Thanks, Allison! I just reserved all the ones that our library has, and I'm looking forward to reading them. I need more readers like you to make recommendations!