Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hypocrisy

In one of the most scathing passages of the Gospels (Matthew 23), Jesus attacks (and I don't think there is a better word than 'attacks') the scribes and Pharisees for their hypocrisy. Six times he says, "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!" I think that it is fair to conclude from the scathing tone of his rebuke and from the content of the woes that hypocrisy is a grievous, hell-deserving evil (23:33).

Each of the hypocrisies rebuked are worthy of note, but one jumped out to me as a parent:

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and the plate, that the outside also may be clean" (Matthew 23:25-26).
It hit me on two levels:
  1. What is my hypocrisy? Where am I cleaning the outside while the inside rots? Am I daily inviting Christ to cleanse me of greed and self-indulgence - not just in my actions, but in my heart?
  2. Am I teaching my daughter what Christ hates and loves? Am I pressing the evils of hypocrisy and the blessedness of humility? Am I consistently teaching her to go to Jesus to cleanse the inside of the dish, and not merely to wipe the outside clean?
If hypocrisy is the sin that Jesus singles out with such intensity, how can I dare to continue in it, or fail to warn my daughter of its perils?

No comments: