Friday, December 08, 2006

Another afternoon with John Owen

Once again Elisabeth marooned me in Starbucks (it was 26 degrees outside, so the park was not an option today) with The Glory of Christ while she slept in the stroller. (We live in a fourth floor walk-up, which means there is zero chance of getting Elisabeth from the stroller up four flights of stairs and into bed without waking her.) The more I read of this book, the higher it moves on my list of books to take with me if I was only allowed to take x number of books with me to the mission field.

Here's one little glimpse of why:

. . . to be neglective of endeavouring an experience of the power and grace of the gospel in our own souls, under a profession of religion, is no less destructive and pernicious than impenitence in any course of sin.
(Owen, John. "The Glory of Christ." Glasgow: Christian Heritage. 2004. p208)

No comments: